Sunday, November 20, 2011

Week 7

Thanksgiving will be the 7 week mark. Nothing really significant has happened lately, although the trip to Cleveland was a little disappointing. Dr Clair would like me to return in mid-December for another check-up, and only then can I start thinking about prosthetics. The problem is that I know that no one will be available during the Christmas holidays, which means I realistically won't have a leg until some time in January. I really didn't want to be contending with snow while on crutches, but it looks like that's where I'm headed.

I did have some x-rays taken in Cleveland, and I'll post them if I can obtain copies. If the bone bridge shows a callus formation, that should be the trigger for prosthetic fitting. Of course the bone bridge won't reach full strength for probably a year, but as long as the initial fusion has occurred, that's all that's important.

This goes against doctor's orders, but I made an appointment with my prosthetist for next Tuesday, 11/29, to have a plaster impression made. By the time the test socket is ready, hopefully I will have had my next check-up in Cleveland. And then, hopefully the real prosthesis could be ready before Christmas. That would be just over 11 weeks, which certainly should be adequate time for healing. Throwing away these crutches would be an excellent Christmas present.

No comments:

Post a Comment