Friday, October 7, 2011

Done!


I went into surgery around 3:30pm yesterday, and my understanding is that the procedure was relatively quick (no more than 2 hours.) I vaguely remember being wheeled back to my room, where I have been recovering ever since.

I created a minor stir in the OR when I told the nurse anesthetist that I did NOT want to do the epidural, after all. They recommended that I have it, but they said ultimately it's my decision. I insisted that I would be able to manage the post-op pain with medication. Maybe I would have been better off, but I just don't like the idea of needles going into my spine.

Dr Clair said he's very happy with the procedure. He was able to suture a good piece of bone in place, and he said I have excellent blood supply. The dressing is very bulky, but I'd say he removed about 6 inches. If this heals properly, I should have a far more functional limb than before.

For pain, I'm taking oxycodone, percocet, and intravenous fentanyl. Fentanyl is great stuff, but it makes me completely useless and loopy. Overall, my pain is not excruciating, but I think I've got several days of persistent pain ahead.

The good news is I've got a single room, with a nice big TV!

Too tired to say much more for today. There's a chance I might be discharged on Sunday, but I think it'll most likely be Monday.

1 comment: