Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Three Weeks!

Tomorrow (Thursday) is the 3-week mark. Then, it's just a little over 2 weeks until the stitches come out. I don't know if the incision needs to be completely healed before they can be removed, and at this point I really don't care. I still have a few areas along the incision that continue to drain (not much at all, but enough so that the gauze soaks it up, dries, and then becomes stuck to the wound.) This is the source of my pain, and it warrants a percocet. Hopefully removing the stitches will eliminate this pain.

In any case, I may have found a solution. By first laying down a thin layer of bacitracin ointment, then Adaptic (a petroleum-impregnated dressing specifically meant to be non-adhering) and then covering all of that with gauze, I seem to be getting some relief. I'm a bit concerned that these areas haven't shown any signs of progress over the last week, but maybe I have unrealistic expectations. Maybe keeping the incision moist and covered is actually prolonging the healing process, although I always believed that wounds heal faster when they're kept moist.

No comments:

Post a Comment