Thursday, October 13, 2011

One Week

One week ago at this time, I was prepping for surgery.

I forgot to mention that when I was sitting in the pre-op staging area, I overheard two nurses talking about a surgery on the previous day that apparently ran into some major complications. They were talking about blood having to be mopped up, and hearing "tone" twice. I'm guessing "tone" is the alarm from the vital signs monitor. In any case, this is not something I wanted to hear moments before major surgery.

Healing is a slow process at the macro level, but it's remarkably fast at the cellular level. After only one week, my incision looks a lot less angry. There is virtually no drainage, and I have far less soreness than even a couple of days ago. The sutures won't come out for another month, but I'm feeling very confident about the progress already.

We are slowly extending the time intervals between my oxycodone doses -- I'd like to get off of it as soon as possible. I can't say for certain that I'd be fine without oxy, but I think the Motrin is helping me more.

I picked up a pair of weightlifting gloves to spare my palms from the abuse of crutches. The plan for today is to walk around at Presque Isle -- fresh air never hurt anybody.



No comments:

Post a Comment